| Site built with:|
Welcome to totehmoon.com
totehmoon.com is my (Jeff Causey) site. It is my personal site that I use for posting my personal opinions and items of interest. The blog site is where I write about MINI stuff, technology issues, photography, and just general stuff. The Staying Awake blog is where I write about religious topics.
About Jeff Causey
I currently serve as the Chief Financial Officer for the Durham Housing Authority. I ran a management consulting business, Strategic Innovations, Inc., for a few years. For now though, I've put that part of my life on hold. Over the past few years I've become more and more active at the church I attend - Graham Friends Church - to the point of leading a Sunday School class, trying to help out with the services, and actively participating in our outreach efforts.
I'm also a MINI Cooper owner (Cooper S, Chili Red with a White top to be more exact). I got it in February 2008. As of writing this update to this page, I am on the verge of hitting the 100k mile mark. It has proven to be a fun car to drive and as many will say, you not only get the car, you get the community. For me, that means being active with the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club and enjoying numerous adventures.
Want to reach me via e-mail? It is jcausey at totehmoon dot com. There are other e-mails out there as well you can use, but if you are here, that is probably the easiest one to use.
ResumeOK, my resume is really not right here. I thought it would be, but I decided to put it on a separate page which you can reach via the link in the nav bar above.
- I have been married since 1991 (yes, we recently celebrated 20 years!) and I have a son and twin daughters. All of the kids are in middle school and doing very well.
- I manage a variety of web sites and enjoy deploying and testing different CMS'es. Some of my sites include:
- www.strategic-innovations-inc.com - my consulting business web site that I setup using the Joomla! system. Kind of stale right now.
- www.ip-wars.net - a web site I setup using the Scoop system for discussion of intellectual property issues. Site is currently down due to a change in servers in the fall of 2008. I am not in a position to restore the site with the new server configuration. I have been debating converting it to a new platform and reproducing as much of the content as possible.
- OIDI - a site I set up with Lewis Mettler to help advocate for the OpenDocument format and other electronic files. The site is currently down and I don't think it is being used any longer. But it did give me an opportunity to deploy the twiki package.
- www.frogdogracing.com - a site that I setup back in the days when I participated in on-line sim-racing. As part of that hobby I also helped with the Bellstar Racing League site (no longer active), Penguin Motorsports, Tombstone Racing, and Blue Cobalt Motorsports. Prior to all of these I had www.frogdog.com way back starting in 1996, but abandoned it a few years later due to money constraints. I've actually given up the frogdogracing.com domain. It did give me an opportunity to develop my html, php, and mysql coding skills.
- Town of Kenly - a site I setup for one of my clients. It gave me an opportunity to deploy the Geeklog blogging platform. Site is now managed by a different company.
- ToTehMoon Blog - ok, it is part of this site. But it is a sub-part and gave me an opportunity to deploy the Wordpress blogging package. Given the weaknesses of the package (CMS Made Simple) powering this "proper" part of the site, I do most of my writing on the blog.
- BSC U10 Girls Academy Unofficial Site - a site I setup mainly to hold photos I take from the soccer academy my girls participated in, it also serves as a way for me to distribute info to the team since I am the team manager. Deployed it in about 30 minutes using Wordpress. Site is no longer active.
- A Mini Multi-Tour - a site I setup mainly for fun to try to consolidate all the info I am watching as I hope to participate in several Mini tours next summer. More importantly, it gave me an opportunity to try deploying the b2evolution package. Site has been taken down.
- DHA Skunkworks Wiki - when I started with the Durham Housing Authority, one issue I quickly identified was their inability to archive in an effective way their institutional knowledge. About the same time I was reading about how companies and people were using wikis for that exact reason along with improving collaboration (a challenge for any organization). So I deployed the MediaWiki platform as a test. The plan is to eventually bring it in-house (though I have to get the IT staff comfortable with Linux and F/OSS first). I received lots of good feedback regarding the wiki. Unfortunately, it was lost in the server crash of 2008. Restoring it will be quite a bit of work that I don't have time to do. I'm hoping to move the wiki internal to our work network and recreate it there.
- Staying Awake blog - another part of this site, it is a Wordpress based site I set up for my religious writings.
- When on-line, I seem to spend most of my time at the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club site. I use to go to North American Motoring quite a bit, but that is fading and at the same time I've started to visit the Motoring Alliance web site more often. I used to check-in on a regular basis at the MINI 2 web site, PhillyMini, and NEMINI. I used to watch the SCO v. World lawsuit pretty closely. Unfortunately, the Yahoo! SCOX Board has been overrun with script kiddies and SCOX Board at Investor Village has made their site almost impossible to use in their effort to lock it down to only registered users (and I refuse to register). I also used to watch the Yahoo! EAG Board. However, that company no longer exists.
- I attend Graham Friends Church where I am (hopefully) learning to become a better Christian and person.
- I have helped with the OpenOffice.org Marketing Project. I am not very active right now, but I occasionally help blog about the topics we focus on, push out PRs and beta test the software. With the creation of The Document Foundation, I tried to transition over to being part of the LibreOffice community. But due to some bugs, I am back to using OpenOffice.org.
- I once completed a mini-triathlon (The Mission Man in Burlington) and I hope to be able to do one again one day. If I can get in gear, my goal is to eventually do the Iron Duke. I have started running again (if you can call a combo shuffle, walk, job type pace "running"), though I've been slack the past couple months. Hopefully I can continue my efforts and perhaps do a half-marathon in late 2012.
- I serve as team manager for my girls soccer team in the Burlington Soccer Club.
- I am hoping to one day obtain my pilot's license and fly a real plane.
- I have a Nikon D40 that I enjoy working with on my photography craft. The girls' soccer provides a great opportunity for sports photography as you may note from some of the albums here. I managed to get several photos of mine published in an article in Alamance Magazine about the BSC. Owning a Mini and being part of a club also provides numerous photo ops. That has resulted in a couple photos of mine being published in MC2 Magazine as part of an article about a Blue Ridge Parkway tour the club went on in the summer of 2008. I also had a picture accepted over at the Roadside America web site on their entry about Bridal Veil Falls.
- As a result of the aforementioned Blue Ridge Parkway tour, me and my wife are now Blue Ridge Parkway End-to-Enders. I repeated that feat in 2009 when I did the BRP from south to north and then continued up the Skyline Parkway and eventually made it to Bar Harbor, Maine as part of an Ice Cream Run. While there, I made it out to the easternmost point in the continental US. Years ago I made it to the southernmost point at Key West, so two of four down. We backtracked and participated in Minis On Top, a run to the top of Mt. Washington. So I have now been to the summit of the two tallest peaks east of the Mississippi. In 2010 I did the BRP again with my son. I was supposed to do the BRP Tour in 2011 with one of my daughters, but she ended up with a schedule conflict and I did it by myself. For 2012 I'll try again with one of my daughters.