My last blog post about MyLifeOrganized (MLO) dealt with my thought process in selecting MLO as the tool to support my implementation of GTD. The transition occurred back at the beginning of 2013 when I went ahead and moved off of ToodleDo. I do feel like MLO was a powerful tool and after going through the learning curve, I think I had it configured to the point where it was useful. One of the main goals was to get tasks to rise to my attention when they needed to, but not before, and certainly not after (as was starting to happen with my old GTD implementation). MLO handled that well, especially once I figured out how to build the appropriate queries. The only downside to that was that I had to check three different screens in the Windows client to assess everything that needed to be addressed.
You may note I said it worked in the Windows client, albeit not as smoothly as I wanted. That was about the only place it worked and that probably was the biggest factor in its undoing. As I noted when first implementing MLO, they didn't have a OS X native client. I thought I might be able to get around that using a remote desktop connection, but it ended up not being an effective solution. If I only had a couple tasks to address when on my home computer it might have been ok. But I had way too many things to tend to when at home to rely on a remote desktop solution, especially when I just wanted to quickly mark something as done or needed to quickly capture something to the Inbox. Though the email to task function worked well, that tended to just introduce an extra step in the process.
MLO may possibly have been able to retain its status as my tool, even at home, had I had a decent solution apart from my MBP. Unfortunately, the Android app is really a mess. I'm not even sure what kind of design standards or guidelines MLO is trying to follow, but with so many of my apps converting over to the new Holo guidelines, MLO was annoying to even look at. And as I mentioned before, MLO's tendency to want to charge for everything caused me to not upgrade the app to the "Pro" version, thus crippling it.
So, as my annual week-long beach trip was scheduled for the first week of July, I decided the time had come to make another switch. With the MLO experience under my belt, I knew I definitely needed to stick to the requirement of something being cross-platform (though a web interface would suffice). I also knew I would need something with a decently well-developed and mature Android app. Of course, the other requirements continued from earlier in the year, like the ability to support GTD.
I'll let you know what the results of my search ended up being in my next entry in this series.