The SuppliesPoorboy's World products for this go round. In the past I've used Prima products and was pleased with them. The last time though I used Griot's and I did not like it. Hopefully this PW stuff will work out.
I will be starting with the SSR 2.5 which is a medium cut polish to handle the heavy lifting. That will be followed by SSR 1 which is a light polish for the finishing. I got some Black Hole which is a glaze that can be used as a filler. I haven't decided if I'll actually use that. Once all the polishing is done, I'll use the EX which is a sealant that also has some carnuba wax in it. You may also notice the PW soap for washing and some quick detailer - those are for maintenance.
For my black trim, I'll probably end up using Black Wow since I still have some even though I really don't like it. I also don't have any wheel wax for this go round. (Can you tell my budget got really tight?)
For pads, I picked up Lake Country pads. These are fairly cheap and seem to be the preferred budget pad sold by Detailed Image, which is where I ordered the supplies from. I would have liked to have gone with Hex Logic pads, but that would have introduced yet another vendor into the mix. I also picked up a 5-inch backing plate for the PC, so these are 5.5-inch pads. Went a shade smaller than standard to help work around the corners and curves a little easier and since the MINI is so small, I don't need to worry about trying to cover large areas.
Hopefully I can get some decent before and after pics to document everything and see if the PW stuff really works.
Stripe removalThe first step for all this work is to get the existing stripes off my MINI. I'm hoping to get them off before the actual detailing day arrives so I can get an early start. That will be a challenge finding the time for it though with my schedule.
I managed to get one of the boot stripes off the other night. To do so, I had to start with removing the Cooper S badging. That came off fairly easy and as you can see, I managed to keep it all together with some tape. That may end up being a moot point as I probably need to clean the badging and will need to take it off the tape to do that.
After that, it was a matter of getting the stripe itself off. Unfortunately, that was very slow going. The stripes are so old and brittle, that they just disintegrate as I start to pull them off. That is actually bad as I can't get them to just peel away - instead I have to sit there and just keep "scraping" at them. It took me about 1.5 hours to get this first stripe off.