Saturday, May 16, 2015

2008 MINI Cooper S - Vacuum Pump Replacement

Video of my DIY project today. Replaced the vacuum pump in the MINI. As most know, I try to pinch the pennies, so I replaced the stock pump with one manufactured by Pierburg that I purchased from ECS Tuning. I'm not sure they aren't the supplier of the OEM part. The pumps look identical externally.

Overall it was an easy repair. Biggest problem is trying to work around the tight confines of the engine bay.


Saturday, May 09, 2015

The Story of the Stripes

Those who have watched my progress on trying to do some detailing on my MINI know that one of the things I did was put on some new stripes. Technically this is the third set of stripes on my MINI. When I bought it, the MINI had the "factory" stripes on it. If you have looked at those closely, they are white with a black pinstripe that is printed on the vinyl.

For the second set of stripes that I put on, which I went with both bonnet and boot stripes, I had plain white vinyl cut for the main stripe, with a gap of about 3/8-inch and then a plain white 3/8-inch pinstripe (I'm guessing on those size, but they were thin). I was told at the time that my gap and pinstripes were thinner than what a lot of people did, which was fine with me - more you-ification.

Planning for this third set actually started about 3 years ago, maybe more, when I spotted the first stains starting to appear on my stripes. That was followed by the first cracks appearing.

MINI detailing - getting it done

This second part of my MINI detailing documentation covers the rest of the prep work, primarily stripe removal, and then the actual detailing. This is just kind of a slapped together narrative.

Stripe removal continues

Was tired from being outside most of the weekend watching soccer, but decided I better do some work on the stripes. Good thing I did.

I removed the second boot stripe and got all the glue off the boot. That took about an hour.

I then decided to start on the hood stripes. What a pain that turned into. I managed to get one stripe (and related glue) off. That took only 3 hours. Looks like I know what I'll be doing either Monday or Tuesday night.